Re: gtk-app-devel-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 25

Whoa!! Flame war going on! As a "still beginner", could I put my two cents on it?

As a GTK "pre-intermediate" user, I share some of the feelings that Gerald has about the documentation. There are the GTK Tutorial and the GTK Reference manuals, and the Libglade Reference manual is very much like them, really. They are pretty useful. But, reading the latest messages in the list, this was the FIRST TIME I have ever really heard about the "test-libglade.c" file. I know some of you would say "you should know what´s being installed in your PC, moron". But, hey, if a certain documentation is installed along with the library, you suppose that IT is THE documentation -- and, there, the ONLY reference to "test-libglade.c" I found was the following:

"In fact, if you use the glade_xml_signal_autoconnect() function, the GUI code could be as simple as the test-libglade.c example that comes with libglade."

This surely is not something that tells the reader about the importance of this example file. And a good example file in a package is not really useful if the user isn´t told about its existante -- unless the user is a "bit-brusher" type with a lot of spare time to open and study all the files installed by packages.

Although I find the GTK Reference Manual very useful, I miss some examples and better explanations for some functions (c´mon. Many of the references only enumerate the arguments and the product and type of what is returned, kinda like Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V). The GTK Tutorial looks very good for this purpose, but it looks like it is not evolving together with each GTK 2.x release, and it still misses a lot of information.

I don´t want to blame the developers. I know what Free Software is and how much of it is made -- although I REALLY disagree about this "it´s all developers could do, if you don´t like it, pay or do it yourself" stuff. I have the opinion that Free Software, more than any other, NEEDS good documentation, so it can really grow and attract users and developers. I know some nice and interesting softwares which simply don´t provide docs. And some of the collaboration methods available for documentation are good only for those same bit-brushers I mentioned before. I don´t want nor feel the need to learn EMACS, TeX, SGML and a lot of other old stuff just for adding to an official documentation my own observations and experiences which might be useful to other people. Most of all, I really can not remember now (I am not saying that there isn´t any) an example of software or library which stimulates people to write documentation and makes things easier for collaborators.

I think that there could be an official GTK/Glade/Libglade wiki in GTK.org, with everything we see in the GTK Tutorial and Reference manuals as its base. And then those same manuals should be updated from the wiki and distributed in the packages. I am sure that not even my mother would say "oh my, you´re a genius!". But I really have no idea about why a GTK wiki isn´t implemented yet...

Regards,

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil
The RADiola Project - http://radiola.sourceforge.net