gtk installation problems configure: error: X development libraries not found

Hello,

I'm new to gtk and this is the first time I'm installing it.I've installed all the dependencies for gtk.
When I'm trying to give a ./configure inside the gtk+-2.10.0 directory I get the following error.

checking return type of signal handlers... (cached) void
checking for x86 platform... yes
checking compiler support for MMX... yes
checking for X... no
configure: error: X development libraries not found

From the link http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html I found that  libraries from the X
window system are needed to build  GTK+.

But where to download these libraries from.??Does anyone know.??

However my system has already /usr/X11R6/lib/ directories and I've included this in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Still I get the above error while configuring.

Could anyone please tell me how to get rid of these errors or where to download these X window system
libraries from.This is very urgent for me to fix so please reply asap.

Thanks in advance,
GA

Yahoo! Singapore Answers
Real people. Real questions. Real answers. Share what you know at http://answers.yahoo.com.sg