Re: Trying to receive MOTIF_WM_MESSAGES using GTK

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 15:48 -0800, JM wrote:
    I'm creating an app using GTK+2.0 but running
within the Motif Window Manager.  I have an .Xdefaults
file where I have added a "f.send_msg" entry to add my
own menu option.  However, I do not know how to
register  and listen for _MOTIF_WM_MESSAGES.  I've
seen examples but they are written in X. Is there a
way to listen using GTK?
    Unfortunately I have to run within the Motif
manager unless I can configure the GNOME desktop with
a Motif theme, but then I still have the problem of
changing the system menu and minimize/maximize/close
buttons to make them look motif like.  Perhaps this is
easy to do in GNOME, but I have not seen any examples
so far.

You probably want gdk_display_add_client_message_filter (): see
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/GdkDisplay.html#gdk-display-add-client-message-filter

For an MWM Metacity theme, see http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1336
- the FAQ on art.gnome.org tells how to install window border themes.

Ed