Re: drawing moving shapes

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 16:02 -0700, Rob Barnes wrote:
I am using gtk_widget_queue_draw() already. The doc says,"Once the main loop
becomes idle (after the current batch of events has been processed,
roughly), the window will receive expose events for the union of all regions
that have been invalidated.", but this does not seem to be happening.
Placing a printf in my expose event revealed that expose is not being called
unless I move the mouse or something like that.  My program is
multithreaded, could that be causing problems?

I was going to ask if your program was multithreaded as this is classic
behavior when you try to use threads.

Did you read the documentation on how to properly use threads in GTK?
Are you initializing thread support in gdk?  Do you properly lock gdk
when making any gtk or gdk call from a thread?

In general (on all platforms and all widget toolkits), making gui calls
from the thread is a bad idea.  Instead, notify the main loop when you
want it to do something by doing g_idle_add and a callback.  This
ensures that the callback, which could update the drawing area, for
example, runs in the main thread at the next opportunity.  Note that you
have to synchronize any data that you want to share between threads
using locking primitives.

Michael

Some code snippets:

GtkWidget *drawing_area;
//Inside main:
drawing_area = gtk_drawing_area_new ();
g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (drawing_area), "expose_event", G_CALLBACK
(expose_event), NULL);
gtk_widget_set_events(drawing_area,GDK_ALL_EVENTS_MASK);

gboolean expose_event( GtkWidget      *widget,
                              GdkEventExpose *event )
{
printf("expose\n");
    //draw_player(players[0]);
  gdk_draw_drawable (widget->window,
             widget->style->fg_gc[GTK_WIDGET_STATE (widget)],
             pixmap,
             event->area.x, event->area.y,
             event->area.x, event->area.y,
             event->area.width, event->area.height);

  return FALSE;
}

//Inside a asynchronous function
//marker is an ADT
gdk_draw_polygon (pixmap,marker.kontext,TRUE,marker->poly,4);
gdk_widget_queue_draw(drawing_area);

Thanks.
-RobB