[n00b] what's a smooth_draw_box?

Hi list,

I've just started with GTK and been going through the tutorial and
examples. My first small application is working all right but the
following (I guess) warning keeps being written to the console:

CRITICAL **: smooth_draw_box: assertion `width >= -1'

and strangely enough Google doesn't return any pages for the queries

http://www.google.com/search?q=smooth_draw_box+site%3Agtk.org
http://www.google.com/search?q=smooth_draw_box+site%3Alibrary.gnome.org

What I believe is the relevant part of my code:

window = gtk_window_new( GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL );
gtk_container_set_border_width( GTK_CONTAINER( window ), 50 );
gtk_widget_show( window );
scale = gtk_hscale_new( GTK_ADJUSTMENT( adjustment ) );
gtk_widget_set_size_request( GTK_WIDGET( scale ), 350, 40 );
gtk_container_add( GTK_CONTAINER( window ), scale );
gtk_widget_show( scale );
gtk_main(  );

All I want to have in my top level window is a scale widget. What's wrong?