Re: App blueprint, advice please!

Thanks to Dan and John for your last posts and thanks to all. I am really delighted with the response to my question!

So it looks like the I could use Bash to spawn other programs but it is likely problematic and no one actually recommends it as a first option.

So as Dan was saying, I can launch other programs written in other languages from system() function calls. So I could link lots of them together regardless of language they are written in and if I really needed to I could still access Bash commands like ssh, netcat right?

I think both Python and Ruby can be extended with C without using a system call.

Is there anything wrong with calling them from system calls instead?

Thanks again Göran! I read up on Ruby last night for a couple of hours. I am sure I can pick this up.

Python is the only language I can actually work at a reasonable pace in. I am just learning C.

Is there a reason you chose Ruby over Python? If I am already using Python, do you think I need to switch languages to achieve my goal?

And thanks for the tip, I want to sell code not software!

I am going to save this entire thread somewhere safe. I hope one day I can compensate or somehow return the favor to all involved.

THANKS!!!-Patrick