Re: App blueprint, advice please!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:21:02 -0500
Patrick <optomatic rogers com> wrote:

I have wanted to learn Ruby for a while now, I could definitely do
that. Nicola was saying that my Bash idea might be a problem
because of the spawn time involved with bash.

Whether you can or cannot live with certain "spawn" delays of course depends only on how frequent those
spawns occur.

Is Ruby pretty fast
spawning these secondary programs?

Is the Ruby shell a true system shell? I am just wondering if I
could still access ftp, netcat, ssh ect..

You can call external programs without hassle from any compiled or interpreted language I'm aware of with a
single system() function call. So there's no need to contrive some artificial division between "system
shell", "interpreted language" or "script".

--D.