GtkComboBox - how to clear and repopulate in one step?

I am using gtk_combo_box_new_text() to setup a combo box to display a list of
strings. However, the documentation states that in this case you can only use the
following set of related (convenience) functions to manipulate the ComboBox:

gtk_combo_box_append_text()
gtk_combo_box_insert_text()
gtk_combo_box_prepend_text()
gtk_combo_box_remove_text()

which then makes it a bit tedious to clear out (i.e. delete all entries) the
ComboBox because you then have to call gtk_combo_box_remove_text() specifying the
index of the entries one by one.

Is there any other way to conveniently or simply remove all entries (strings in my
case) from the ComboBox preferably in one function call?

Is there another way I should be using the GtkComboBox?

I have two comboboxes in my application: the selection in the first combo affects
what data (strings) gets populated in the second combo. Hence the reason why I need
to be able to clear and (re)populate the combo box very quickly and preferably in
one call.

I am using GTK+ 2.10.4 on CentOS 5.

Thanks!

Salman Ahmed