Re: write a media player using gtk+

On Dec 2, 2007 4:10 AM, Binary Chen <binary chen gmail com> wrote:
My decoded image is RGB565 format, this function is RGB32 format,
unfortunately my hardware also provides RGB565 capability... this means
the system need to do a RGB565 -> RGB32 -> RGB565 transalation... quite
unefficient.

Is there a more direct way?

Yes, you need to drop down to the X11 layer. You can ask for a list of
visuals which your server supports, pick out the RGB565 one, then send
an image (optionally over XShm to avoid a copy) directly in that
format. Of course then your player will only work for displays with an
RGB 565 visual :-(

Are you using X11? If you are using directfb it's all different. You
could look at SDL as well I guess, though I've not used that myself.

For a desktop machine, gdk_draw_rgb_image() should be fast enough,
even with the extra coonversions.

John