How to combine two GdkDrawable as two layers?

Dear all,
   I have "GdkDrawable* main" as main layer, and "GdkDrawable* layer1".
Now I draw a jpeg on main (by GdkPixbuf), and clear layer1 with alpha channel value 0, draw a line with alpha channel value 1 (by Cairo), then gdk_draw_drawable layer1 to main. The result I wanted was a jpeg with a line on it, but I got a jpeg with the region of layer1 transparent and a line on it.
   What is the problem?

Thanks.