Filtering GtkComboBoxEntry input

Hi,

Is there a way to filter the text input to a GtkComboBoxEntry?  I want to
use it to provide a drop down list for preconfigured values and also to
allow a user to set there own arbitrary value.

On a related note:  Is there an elegant way to directly set the text for the
entry to some arbitrary text?  Presently I'm doing this:

    gtk_combo_box_insert_text (combo, 0, text);
    gtk_combo_box_set_active  (combo, 0);
    gtk_combo_box_remove_text (combo, 0);

Thanks,

Pat.