Re: dynamic combo entry

On 8/7/07, Dave Howorth <dhoworth mrc-lmb cam ac uk> wrote:
Users need to choose from a very long list of possibilities (approx half
million).

A neat interface that I saw for this (in Javascript IIRC) is to have a
combo box entry. As the user types the beginning of the name, the combo
box displays the first few possibilities that match and can select one
as soon as it appears.

I've been trying to implement this using gtk+ but it feels like I'm
fighting the widget set, which sometimes means I'm trying to do the
wrong thing! At the moment, I'm trying to get the popup list to appear
while the focus stays on the text entry widget, for example.

Does anybody have any example code of this type of interface? Or have
any suggestions for good alternative interfaces for this situation?

Thanks, Dave

It may not be exactly what you want, but gtk_entry_set_completion might help.

-Jim