Customising the text input cursor

I find the default cursor difficult to see, especially in a GtkTextView.
I eventually found out I could change it globally in ~/.gtkrc-2.0:

style "eyecatching-cursor" {
        GtkTextView::cursor-aspect-ratio = 0.1
        GtkTextView::cursor-color = "#cd0000"
}
class "GtkTextView" style "eyecatching-cursor"

which is nice.

But is there a way an application can perform the same customisation on
the fly? There seems to be no way of changing these style properties in
an application as they're not part of a GtkRcStyle or GtkStyle.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk