How to display an animated pop-up when ever a certain event occur?

Hi,

         I want to develop a system tray application that checks for some
events and when ever a new event occurs it should display an animated popup
with some messages.

       I don't know how to display an animated pop-up with some message in
it?. So, can anybody tell me how to do it or give me any links regarding
this topic. I am using Gtk-C API's for developing this application.

Thanks in advance,
Suman.