setting gtk theme/style using gtk_rc_parse

I am working on an embedded system using a GTK+ application as the front end.  We would like to be able to
give the user the ability to change the GTK theme of the application from within a menu we create in our app.
  I am currently using the gtk_rc_parse() function to set the theme by passing in a filename of the gtkrc
file for the appropriate theme the user selects.

Heres the problem though..  When switching from one theme to another, I need a way to clear all of the
settings from the previous theme.  For example, the first theme may have set a background pixmap, but the
second theme does not.  The background pixmap attribute does not get cleared and the second theme ends up
using the background from the first.

I have tried using gtk_rc_reset_styles() but it doesn't seem to be what I need in this case.  If I restart
the application and just call gtk_rc_parse with the 2nd theme file everything is fine..  So there must be
something called within gtk_init that defaults all of the style settings.

Thanks
Brian