Text formatting question (code example sought)

We are using GTK extensively in a game and are trying to improve the look-and-feel of our scrolling text. Our
interface programmer has run into a roadblock, so I am looking for pointers to a solution, hopefully in the
form of example code.

We are looking for example code (can be bare bones) which can do:

- Display some scrollable text
- Then, on an event (player clicks "more"), display a new paragraph that is "centered at the top" of the text
window but still allows us to scroll back to the prior text.

Any help would be welcome.