Handling picking with Gtk

Hi people, I'm new to the list and have a question.

I have used Gtk for a couple of weeks now in cooperation with glade
(wonderfull tools !!). I have a small problem on custom widgets. I want
to draw some specific widgets myself, thus I use a GtkDrawingArea widget
and use the /expose-event/ to perform custom rendering of my objects.
This works ok. Now I want to interact with the objects I have drawn in
the GtkDrawingArea. I suppose I have to use the /button-press-event/ to
handle mouse clicks... At this point, I have to chose wich of my custom
objects (drawn in the GtkDrawingArea) has been clicked. The common way
of doing that is to prepare something like a *stencil* buffer while
rendering the colors, so looking in the stencil at click time directly
gives the rendered object. I haven't found such a functionnality in Gtk.
Could someong help on this ??

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
Yann Renard