Re: Format text in columns

I am attempting to populate a GtkListStore with text that has Pango
attributes and markup.

I would like display proportional font tabular data with headings,
titles, summary lines, and notes, that has labels, numeric values
pre-formatted in character form, with left and right justifying. The
line layout varies from line to line, and the display will use

An example is, a balance sheet with labels down the left being left
justified, columns of numbers right justified, notes following and
interspersed with table of data, totals, heading, using proportional
fonts. The layout can be quite flexible, with the layout varying from
line to line, for example the may be subtotals, and notes embedded
within tabular data that has a different tabular layout. There may be
several different tabular layouts with the one display driven by the
data.

Essentially, I simply want to take a piece of text, and put it in a
certain (calculated) pixel position. Take the next piece of text and put
it in a certain pixel position further along the same line, and in this
way build up tabular data, where the rules for layout vary from line to
line.

I am modifying an existing application that is using GtkListStore. This
works fine for fixed width fonts. The application allows for clicking on
a line, and returning the key value assigned to that line. The current
cursor is displayed by changing the background of an entire line, and
the cursor may move up and down lines.

Ideally I would line to use Pango formatting and store multiple position
information relating to the multiple pieces of text making up a line,
encoded into each line of text in the GtkListStore? Or store the data
for a line such that when the GtkListStore is rendered, it knows to
display a particular piece of data starting at a certain pixel position.

Someone suggested using TextView, which I am looking at. It is not clear
to me yet how to go about using it. Any help will be much appreciated.

Does anyone have any examples or have any suggestions of how to do what
I want to accomplish?

Thanks,
Don.