Passing data from a data collection window back to a main

Hi,

I am about to start a new app, and would like to improve my programming style. I have been using global
variables to pass data from "popup" windows back to a main window. I have seen discussion about using
g_object_set_data, but have not progressed to being able to use it confidently.

Does anyone know of a simple example using g_object_set_data. The sort of thing I am thinking about is a main
window with a label and button, that pops up a child window with an entry and a button. Clicking the child
windows button returns the string in the entry back to the main windows label.

This sort of example would be very useful in the tutorial.

Thanks,
Kim