Is GTK multi-threaded by default??

Hi,

I'm developing an application using GTK, that talks with device driver.
In this process I've introduced a timer callback, where the timer is set
to 10, and, the callback function transfers some bytes to memory card.
Then it should get the status from the memory card. My question here is,
whether GTK will wait in the callback to read the status or will it call
the callback again as the timer lapses. How can I ensure that the
callback function is called only after the status is read from the
memory card.

Any help??  Thanks in advance

Regards

Laxmi