Re: Glade GUI: changing mechanism

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 07:35:19PM -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
tomas tuxteam de wrote:

Sorry for not answering sooner. Lots in my inbox lately (literally ;)

No problem, I went out of town for 4 days and came home a whole
lot of mail too.

Ah. Again late. Sorry again.

OK, let me dream aloud (it'll have far less weight than actually
contributing code). What libglade provides is a "glade-xml" interpreter,
for some language "glade-xml". What is the difference to a "glade-xml"
compiler? Can't both of them be generated from the same source?

   That is a little inacurate, libglade interprets the glade file
directly and code generators use the source - the source is
the glade file - the source of the glade file is the internal data
structures of the glade designer program (remember that historicly
the glade file was the internal format of the glade tool, used
as you mention below as an "abstract representation" of the gtk widget
heirarchy - the glade tool would then output code based on its loaded
state)... so in the end - generating code is only an extra step.

My rambling above was put in misleading terms. I was not talking about
the source of a libglade application, but about the source of the "glade
compiler" or the "glade interpreter" itself: the meta-source, if you
want.

[...]

Lets not sound misleading here... gtk+-2.12 should be featuring
the capacity to load itself from a glade file (or maybe a very very
similar format) - it will generally have the same structure and it
will be xml, only GMarkup will be used to parse that xml, not
libxml2.

So it's a stripped-down XML. I am always afraid that all the issues XML
has as a data description language (e.g. brain-damaged escaping within
attribute values, incredibly complex whitespace handling at tag
boundaries, two-dimensional hierarchy [is something to be expressed as
attribute or as sub-tag?] -- I could go on) obfuscate the design of the
abstract model. And there is evidence for my fear: look at the
incredible complexity the XML consortia are producing. Would you know at
a glance whether the models behind the XPath search specifications are
compatible with DOM? I can't. To me, this is a clear case of
decommoditized protocol, a reason to stay as far away as possible.

XML as an input/output format (among others): yes. XML as the canonical
format to design and understand my apps: no thanks.

Regards
- -- tomÃs