Problem with spinbutton and dialog response via shortcut

I have a dialog with an entry and a spin button (to enter hostname and port), created with Glade. The code grabs the values of the entry and spin button when Gtk::Dialog::run returns Gtk::RESPONSE_OK. Most of the time this works just fine. The user can adjust with the mouse, type in the entry, click OK, or hit enter with keyboard focus in either the entry or the spin button and the program behaves correctly.

However, if I type in a new value in the spin button and then press Alt-O to activate the OK button via its underlined letter, the code reading the values does not get the new value of the spin button - it gets the old value before the user typed.

What's going on with this, and what what can I do to correct it?

FWIW I'm using GTK+ 2.8.20 through GTKmm 2.8.8 on Debian Etch.

Thanks,
Michael