Resizing GtkDrawingArea inside GtkScrolledWindow

I have a GtkDrawingArea added to a GtkScrolledWindow using gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport(). I am trying to resize the drawing area calling gtk_widget_set_size_request(), but when I do so, the toplevel widget (GtkWindow) also gets resized. I'd like to know how to resize just the drawing area, so that the scrollbars of the scrolled windows just get narrower instead of the toplevel window also getting resized.

Thanks for your attention.

Gustavo Cipriano Mota Sousa <gustavomota at inf dot ufg dot br>