Re: graphics!!

I think you may need to use a canvas. For example:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libgnomecanvas/index.html
http://www.dachaplin.dsl.pipex.com/goocanvas/

Do they have a graph widget? Or are they more primitive?

I need such a widget in audio apps:
(1) Envelopes drawn over the audio waveform widget.
(2) Frequency response curves of multiple parametric filters
    drawn in one canvas.
(3) Control envelopes.

Much of the stuff what can be seen in VST plugins, in Absynth
(specially envelopes), Waves' plugins, etc. They look nice too
unlike what I most see here.

Does GTK canvases provide transparency? What programs uses the
canvases? I might want see how they look like.

With gtkglext/opengl all seems to be eventually simpler.
Multiple "widgets" can be combined by using suitable transparency
and depth coordinates. Decorations are done easily, e.g., by
modeling objects in 3D. But then I cannot use the GTK widgets
indistinctly. Interaction with the opengl objects comes a problem
as well, making it tempting to use, e.g., OSG (openscenegraph.org).
But that is a large software and written with C++, which could be
a problem if I want code in C.

How would GTK's Cairo integration help? If at all.

Juhana