Problem with "window creep"

I have an application containing a GtkTextView. My problem is this: In spite
of me having GTK_WRAP_WORD set on the widget, every time text longer than the
widget is added to the buffer, the window grows slightly in width - the text
gets wrapped at the END of the first word that's longer than will fit in the
window, instead of at the beginning of it. But only the first time: Once it's
done this little "dynamic resize", it correctly wraps additional text as I
expect.

The containing GtkScrolledWindow has HPolicy set to Never - I want it to wrap
properly, instead of the user having to scroll back & forth.

Both the GtkScrolledWindow and the GtkTextView are set Expand=TRUE ....
otherwise I wind up with some dinky-sized text that takes 20 lines to
display.

This whole mess is contained in a GtkHBox, with an icon in the first column,
the TextView in the middle, and another icon in the 3rd.

Anybody have any ideas?