Sorting GtkListStore date column

I'm fairly new to GTK programming, and I'm helping out on an open source GTK-based project (gcvs, part of the cvsgui project.) We have a GtkListStore with a column containing date. The column is specified as G_TYPE_STRING. When sorted, it does an alphanumeric sort, so in English it puts all the Fridays together first, followed by all the Mondays, Saturdays, Sundays, etc.

Obviously, I want to sort this in date sequence. How do I accomplish this? I searched the archives before posting and couldn't find anything applicable. Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier