Re: gtk_statusbar!

That's because you are calling real_opration() from the button callback. So
the event loop is not running and it can't update your GUI. You should call
gtk_main_iteration while gtk_events_pending==true

more at
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-General.html#gtk-events-pending
and
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/sec-mainloop.html