Deselecting a GtkTreeView cell text right after editing started

Hi all!
  By default, when a text cell in a GtkTreeView enters editing mode the
cell contents gets selected. In my application I want to disable this
behaviour, i.e. I don't want the text to be selected on field entry.
Hence, I connected to the "editing-started" signal which is emitted
right after the GtkEntry is created [1] and from inside the signal
handler I use the command

gtk_editable_select_region(editable, 0, 0);

which should do the trick but in this case does exactly nothing. It is
as if some subsequent function resets the selection as it was at the
beginning, but I cannot find where this happens. I'm sure that the
initial selection has already been performed [2], hence I would expect
my call to work.
Hints? Please don't tell me I have to use another idle function...

TIA!

[1]. gtk_cell_renderer_start_editing() function at
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/gtk/gtkcellrenderer.c?rev=1.55&view=markup
[2]. gtk_cell_renderer_text_start_editing() function at
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/gtk/gtkcellrenderertext.c?rev=1.94&view=markup

--
Saluti,
    Mardy