Gtk+ Modality Problem

Excuse me for the beginner question, but I am truly stuck on this
issue and do not know how to resolve it. My version of gtk is 2.8.18
under Linux 2.6.15-25-686. I have a simple function that behaves like
MessageBox under Windows and I am trying to make the messagebox to
behave truly modal. To test it I created this other window and I call
the messagebox in the delete event to ask if the user would like to
exit. I tried:

gtk_window_set_modal (GTK_WINDOW(window), TRUE);
gtk_grab_add (window);
gtk_widget_grab_focus (window);

And still I can bring the focus back to my main window. When I
generate an event (say click on the close button once more) it is not
processed immediately but exactly after the messagebox exits. This
approaches my aim, however I would like to force my messagebox into
receiving all events (or at least keyboard&mouse) so that nothing goes
to the main window.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Atanas Atanasov