Re: Application runs slowly, crashes when wiggling the mouse quickly

blythe2 tcnj edu wrote:
I just thought of something else.  I'm using asynchronous IO, which means
that data coming into my serial port (caught via a kernel signal) can
interrupt the gui and call some other code, which in turn tells the GUI to
update various parts of it.  Is it possible that I'm interrupting the GUI
from doing something important, and when I try to make changes I'm
breaking things?  If so, how would I avoid this?

Do you mean the POSIX 1003.1 asynchronous IO calls? They rely on signal
handler callbacks.
And here it is: you can't call gtk-Functions from unix signal handlers!

For future reference see:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/1999-September/msg00077.html
http://rapidmax.homelinux.net/src/gunixsignal/
http://wwwtcs.inf.tu-dresden.de/~Tews/Gtk/a2955.html