Two GtkSpinButton questions

Hello,

I have two questions concerning GtkSpinbuttons.

1) Can I somehow force a spinbutton to use "scientific" notation like 1e9 ?
I know I can enter values this way, but on displaying, large numbers always get
   converted into chains of zeroes.

2) Can I get rid of the up- and down- arrows to the right? Of course I could use a text entry for that, but I like the spinbutton's being linked to a GtkAdjustment.

--or--

3) Is it time to write my own GtkEntry-based widget if I really want this? That in itself wouldn't be a problem, except that my interface is largely built using Glade, and implementing
   dozens of such entries as custom widgets wouldn't be much fun.

Thanks
--Daniel