panel_applet_get_size() lies

First off, I apologise if, this being a GNOME API and not strictly GTK API question, it doesn't belong here, but I couldn't see an equivalent mailing list, and the GNOME list I'm on & tried is more for users than programmers.

I have an issue with panel_applet_get_size(); it lies! It returns stepped values, e.g., any panel size > 48 & <= 64 reports a size of 64.

How can you tell the *actual* size of the panel in order to create a correctly sized drawable?

I'm looking into a bug with hardware-monitor-applet that strictly uses panel_applet_get_size() to determine its canvas size, and this is stuck at 64 pixels high on my 50 pixel high panel.

I seem to be in a Catch-22 situation where I get the size I ask for (too big) even though the panel's smaller, yet if I don't ask* for a size, I get 1 pixel :-(

I can't for the life of me see how the default multiload applet manages it, e.g., as it *seems* to request the same size [a noddy hello-world applet I wrote also returns the wrong '64' values, so I'm assuming multiload gets that too], and yet it's allocation (which it reads from its applet widget and uses) seems to be correct.

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature