Re: Virtual functions and chaining up

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:24:23AM -0400, Nikhil Dinesh wrote:
I'm trying to create my own object hierarchy, and I don't
understand the part in the API reference about virtual
functions and chaining up. To create a virtual public
method,  the docs say we need to do something like:

/* declaration in maman-bar.h. */
struct _MamanBarClass {
  GObjectClass parent;

  /* stuff */
  void (*do_action) (MamanBar *self, /* parameters */);
};
void maman_bar_do_action (MamanBar *self, /* parameters */);
/* implementation in maman-bar.c */
void maman_bar_do_action (MamanBar *self, /* parameters */)
{
  MAMAN_BAR_GET_CLASS (self)->do_action (self, /* parameters */);
}

Correct.

I assume that the subclass definition looks like:

struct _MamanBarSubClass {
   MamanBarClass parent;

   void (*do_action) (MamanBarSub* self, /* params */);
}

No, there's already one do_action() in parent, so this is
a second one.  Moreover the parent class has no access to
this second do_action() so maman_bar_do_action() can never
invoke it.

Each class has its own class struct which contains all
ancestors's class structs (like a matryoshka).  When its
class_init() method is called, the fields defined in
ancestors classes are already filled with parent's values.
So you only need to override them.

If the maman_bar_do_action actually needs to do something, and
the derived class needs to chain up,

maman_bar_do_action() is *not* the parent class method, it's
the virtual method for users to call.  The child method
calls its parent's method:
MAMAN_BAR_CLASS(maman_bar_sub_parent_class)->do_action().

See Gtk+ source code for examples...

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.