Change state of a GtkCheckMenuItem w/o signal triggering

Hi,

I look for a way to change the state of a GtkCheckMenuItem so that the
toggled signal won't be emitted.

I tried gtk_check_menu_item_set_active() and setting the active
property with g_object_set(), but in both ways the toggled signal is
emitted when the state changes(if it is TRUE and I set it to TRUE
nothing happens).
But I want to change the state so that the signal is never emitted. The
signal itself is needed for user interaction. So, not connecting to the
signal doesn't solve my problem.

Is there an option which I missed?

Regards,
Enrico