More about RADiola

Guys, thank you very much for your opinions and the debate -- you are great. I just hope that this talk (more conceptual, less technical) does not bother the list members. If it does, please, tell me, and I will keep the discussion only in private e-mail messages.

        I'll try to address some things you have said:

ROLAND: I just can NOT argue against your thoughts about flowcharts :) I am not sure if I had written this in the PDF I´ve published or if I wrote it later, but I say that the flowchart approach is very EASY, but not really PRACTICAL, indeed... It is just like "high-level Assembly", it is step-by-step. Sure, it is a feature for those who want to begin in programming (I really think about RADiola being used in primary schools, just like LOGO used to be there some time ago). But I am aware of this and, at least in the dirty plans in my insane head, RADiola will support the use of external, "normal" source-code files and even libraries -- they would NOT be embedded in the application script made by the AppDesigner module, but this file will have information about which subroutine to call for each event, their parameters, and where to find the respective code for the subroutine (just like the "includes" in C: they could be embedded in the case of "flowchart-made" routines, external source-code files or object libraries with header files). This information would be used by the Code Generator while preparing the source-code itself, and all this information should be passed to the chosen compiler and linker.

ROLAND and MALAFAIA - "Aim lower", "start small"... I surely know what you mean, dudes -- if it is such a hard task even for experienced programmers, just wonder how I feel it!! And this is the reason why I just want to share an idea and "free" it -- I just can´t do it alone, and what motivates me is the desire of simply USING RADiola someday, and not the ambition of taking "solo credits" for it. But... I believe that something like RADiola is POSSIBLE. As I said, the "User Guide" refers to what te RADiola 1.0 version SHOULD be. Maybe it will never reach 1.0, of course. I will try to have *something* at first -- the control structures for variables and structure types, and the XML parseing to load/save information from/to those structures. Then I'll try to add features slowly, and then I hope that other people will want to join the project.

ATANAS and ROLAND: I must admit I don´t know ONE SINGLE STATEMENT in Python. My programming knowledge is strict to C and ye ol'BASIC. The concept is that RADiola AppDesigner module will generate an XML file -- not simple, but only that. This file should be translated to source-code by an independent program, which I call "Code Generator". There could be a lot of Code Generators later -- the first one for C with GTK, maybe others for C++ with Qt, TCL/TK, Python with GTK... The Code Generator itself is, in concept, something which builds strings into a source-code file, using the values taken from the XML file. Anyone could be able to create a Code Generator which would take this XML file and translate it to anything, and the RADiola user would be able to choose a Code Generator for the language he likes and knows most. I imagine that the RADiola Application Files idea could have other uses someday -- maybe an interpretator, or a "direct compiler", who knows.... And well, I have been thinking about the possibility of using dynamic libraries for the widgets toolkits. Those libraries could be something like the "runtime DLLs" of Visual Basic, providing widgets and procedures. But this is surely very much in the future...

Guys, I am really pleased by all yor interest and contribution, specially because all we know some great free-software efforts which started just like that, and this is quite a boost! Thank you very much!

_______________________________________________________ Novidade no Yahoo! Mail: receba alertas de novas mensagens no seu celular. Registre seu aparelho agora! http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/