Re: Multi-threaded gtk app very very slow

On 7/17/06, Mark Richardson <markmapo yahoo com> wrote:
  I ran the debugger and came up with this (for the primary gtk thread - all other threads aren't blocking).
  ??
  _XRead() from libX11.so.6
  _XReply() from libX11.so.6
  _XIDHandler() from libX11.so.6
  XCreatePixmap() from libX11.so.6
  gdk_pixmap_new from gdkpixmap-x11.c
  gdk_window_begin_paint_region from gdkwindow.c
  gtk_main_do_event from gtkmain.c

  Is there any particular reason that gdk_pixmap_new should even be running? Any hints about which direction
I should poke around (besides upgrading gtk - I'm getting to that!)

It's creating a pixmap ready to do the double buffering for a paint
event. I'm only guessing, but maybe gtk's idle isn't running often
enough to be able to clean up stuff? What's the size of the X server
when you're getting this very slow behaviour? I'd do a "top" while
it's running, watch X, and see if it slowly grows in size.

A fix might be to limit updates to 10 times per second, or maybe to
decouple model updates from view updates (again only guessing).

John