"backspace" callback function

Hi All,
I am trying to register a callback for "backspace" signal on entry
widgets like below,

 g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (entry), "backspace",
            G_CALLBACK (enter_callback),NULL);

 and inside the callback I am just printing a message as below,

static void enter_callback( GtkWidget *widget,gpointer data);
{
 printf ("backspace event received\n");
}

But when I press backspace key on the text in the editor,
last character is getting deleted instead of executing my function.

Can any one suggest me what can be the problem.

Thanks and regards,
Supreet