Can I hide password in config file?

Hi,

I'm using the GLIB Key-value file parser
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Key-value-file-parser.html)
to create or read from a config file. The contents of this file is
servername, port, some other things and a password for accessing this server.
The user can use an options-dialog in my application to set those data and my
application will write it to this file, so he hasn't to bother with the
syntax.

At the moment the password is clearly visible, as it is a normal key value.
I'm looking for a way to protect the password. It should be stored in that
file but like /etc/password. I have no clue how to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot