Re: Parent window for other GtkWindow-s

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 16:01 +0200, Atanas Atanasov wrote:
I have a set of GtkWindow-s and I would like to enclose them in a
single frame - something very similar to the MDI interface. What
widget can I use for the parent frame / window? It is important that
the child windows will appear inside the parent window and one will
not see them outside its border.

Heh, I am implementing a similar feature for Glade3.

Assuming you really want to embed instance's of GtkWindow, you will have
to do some some hackery with gtk_window_realize (). Essentially you must
override that method, and make sure the widget's GdkWindow is not a
top-level. This way, the window will be treated as a normal widget, and
will not be detected by the window manager.

You can also draw a nice metacity window theme around your embedded
widget by using libmetacity-private. The library includes a widget
similar to GtkFrame, except that it draws a metacity window theme.

cheers

Vincent