-----Original Message-----
From: gtk-app-devel-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gtk-app-devel-list-bounces gnome org]On Behalf Of Al Hooton
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 1:51 AM
To: Alexandre
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Doubts about gtkplot (from gtkextra)

      There are differing opinions about the gtkextra package,
but here's my
take:

      I'm using it in a fairly good-sized embedded application
that's doing
instrument monitoring/control.  My system has to run for weeks at a time
without error, meeting hard real-time constraints, which it does
successfully while using gtkextra/gtkplot for the plotting subsystem.
This application is doing screen/plot updates several times per second,
over datasets that can grow to several thousand elements.  I know there
are also other non-trivial systems that use gtkextra, not the least of
which is SciGraphica, from where gtkextra was originally born.

      It's been a long time since there was a "formal" release,
but there has
been a lot of work done in the CVS version.  Don't use gtkextra, be sure
to use gtkextra-2 (goes with gtk+-2.x), and be sure to use the version
out of CVS.  If you go back through the gtkextra mailing list archives,
you will see traffic where several people (including me) have found
bugs, brought them to Adrian's attention along with a test case to
reproduce them, and Adrian has fixed the bugs.  This includes cleaning
up memory leaks to the point where the gtkplot pieces within gtkextra
are exhibiting *no* memory leaks for me anymore (I don't use the other
pieces of gtkextra enough to make any claim about them).  This was
critical for me, as I could not suffer memory leaks in my application.
So, I would propose the support is at least as good as most FOSS
systems, and better than many of them.

      Some people don't like various aspects of gtkextra, and I'm
not saying
there aren't things I wouldn't improve.  The documentation is seriously
lacking, for one thing.  However, I'm not complaining -- I could jump in
and work on that problem as well as the next guy, and I haven't found
the time to do it either, so there's no room to complain.

      After playing with different plotting widgets/packages/approaches, I
think that gtkextra/gtkplot is the best option out there for most things
if you're developing in GTK+ and need a powerful/flexible 2D technical
plotting package.

      Your mileage may vary...

-Al