Re: Threads/IPC/???

Well,

I finally figured it out. PIPES do not work well with formatted i/o. The only way to reliably do IPC is with read/write and variants (g_io_channel_read_chars (), g_io_channel_write_chars ()). I guess this may be common knowledge, but I discovered the long hard way.

Thanks everybody,
Ed

Gus Koppel wrote:
Ed Kutrzyba wrote:

I am developing an application that controls a "Data  Collection
System".  I used glade and anjuta for my GUI and C backend control coding.
 My program works great, but I need to add some extra backround tasks:

1) I need to run a script (perl or bash) on demand without interfering
with my program.  i.e. the script runs in the background so GTK is still
responsive.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Spawning-Processes.html#g-spawn-async
2) I need to spawn a task to perform some background operations.  i.e.
get time from an add in board, arm and disarm an interrupt routine that
time tags an external signal -- need to start and stop this on demand.

What is the best way to do this?

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Spawning-Processes.html#g-spawn-async-with-pipes

In general, see:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Spawning-Processes.html

I have some code from the vendor to control the add in board, I just
need to massage it to fit into my app, my way.

See also:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2004-April/msg00171.html