Image loading and saving

Hi all!

I'm writing simple OCR library and want to load (and sometimes save) images in widely used formats (TIFF, PNG, JPEG and so on). My library manipulates grayscale images with 1 byte per pixel and up to this day I use libtiff for loading and saving tasks. Now I want to add support for other formats and there is a question: what libraries can I use? I know about GDK-pixbuf, but it's support only RGB color space and don't allow to partially load images. I can't load whole image in RGB and then convert it to gray scale because of big memory footprint...

Any ideas?