Font Contrast

Group,

This may be the wrong place, but since I have a question about Gnome, which is built with GTK+, I may be in the right place.

I have installed Novell's Suse 10.0 and having problems getting the font to show their true colors and sharpness on the edges.

When I pick the font color to be black on a white back ground, the black always shows some gray tones, and ragged on the edges. I've tried as black as I am allowed but always ends up with gray tones.

There must be some setting that allows me to get good clean black characters.

By, the way I'm using *.ttf fonts. I've also imported the fonts from my XP machine, this was an recommendation, but not the solution.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
MikeF