Re: defective GTK app crashes gnome

i've had several problems with X freezing up because of some
misbehaviour from some graphical app. The keyboard is locked so
it's hopeless to try CTRL+ALT+BKSP

Not wrong there...  Not even switching consoles is possible time times...

When the system locks up, is the computer still alive? Can you
ssh into it

I run a few little bits and pieces, like masquerading for my wife's computer, a server or two, etc.  And they
all continue to run just fine.  Only X and its input devices (keyboard, mouse, and probably whatever else)
are locked up.

that's the problem: most desktop Linux users can't ssh login from
another machine into the problematic one...  So, Linux is
rock-solid stable, but you should have ssh-server running
and a spare client machine for eventual problems with graphical
apps... :)

Or...  Have the SysRq magic key active.  I've found it increadibly helpful in such situations, allowing me to
force the keyboard into cooked mode, where the console-switching keys (Ctrl-Fn) will work.  You're then free
to swap to a text console and kill X.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to be able to recover X -- just
killing the application doesn't seem to help things a whole lot.

I don't even know the relevancy of this to this list, since it's
unlikely to be a GTK problem...

I've managed to trash X while playing with widgets that use grabs...  I don't know if that's the whole story,
but that accounts for most of the occasions when it's happened to me.  So I'm guessing it's possible to cause
such a situation with GTK, and hence at least some glimmer of on-topic-ness.  ;)

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com