windows resource files

OK - next stupid question. Now that Tor's been able to point out my idiocy
regarding the linking (*ahem*), I now have a working programme ..... except
that a DOS box opens up directly behind it.

I assume that in order to get rid of that, I have to turn my "ordinary" DOS
programme into a windows programme - and I assume that in order to do THAT,
I'm gonna have to create/edit a windows resource file, and merge it with my
executable.

Anybody have any pointers to the file format, or the steps involved? Are my
assumptions off, or correct?

Thanks in advance for the help - after 25 years of 1's and 0's, it's been a
while since I felt like such a newbie :-)