Row-Column addressable Text Locations in TextView and TextBuffer

Is there a way to use TextView and TextBuffer to setup an addressable area
of text?  In other words, I want to have a Text Window where I can specify
to display a given string at a specific Row and Column.  I want to avoid the
overhead of having a Fixed container and popping up Labels all over the
place.  I also want to avoid having to shadow the entire text area in a
buffer and having to redisplay it each time.  I have looked at the Docs on
TextView and TextBuffer and could not find anything that may allow me to do
this.

Thanks,

Bill