Reset Tooltips ? easy (?) newbie question

Hi everyone,
              I'd be grateful if you could help with a quick question regarding 'tooltips', is it possible to
re-set the tooltips somehow?

I have successfully created and set some tooltips, but I then want to change these tooltips while
 the program is running (depending on a certain gtk button being
 pressed). I am a relative newbie with C programming, and an absolute beginner with GTK programming so please
spell out any recommendations
step by step if possible !
         Many thanks,
                    Dan.