Re: Trimming GtkEntry Text

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 10:26:05PM -0500, Tony Freeman wrote:
Hello,

I have two problems I'm trying to work through that maybe someone here
can help me with.

I have a GtkEntry called a 'custom_command_entry'.  I would like to trim
white space from the beginning and end of what a user may enter in this
field.  custom_command_entry is a global.

This is what I have so far:

void on_executebutton_clicked (GtkWidget *widget, gpointer data)
{
      const gchar *custom_command;
      gchar *entry_wfo1, *entry_wfo2;

      /* GET THE BACKUP WFO SELECTION */
      entry_wfo1 = gtk_combo_box_get_active_text(GTK_COMBO_BOX(combobox1));

      /* GET THE LOCALIZED WFO SELECTION */
      entry_wfo2 = gtk_combo_box_get_active_text(GTK_COMBO_BOX(combobox2));

      /* GET THE CUSTOM COMMAND */
      custom_command =
g_strdup(gtk_entry_get_text(GTK_ENTRY(custom_command_entry)));
      g_strstrip(custom_command);

      if (custom_command == NULL || sizeof(custom_command) <= 0) {

sizeof(custom_command) is the sizeof a const gchar* which will always
be greater than 0.

custom_command will never be NULL. As far as I know, the
defined behavior for g_strdup is to abort or somehow terminate
the application if the necessary memory allocation failed.

So, yes, the condition will always be false.

What you probably want to do is a simple strcmp(custom_command, "").

Also, don't forget to free custom_command.

 -jkl