TreeView to build a table?

Hi list,

I want to build a dialog for choosing special characters and insert
them into a text widget. The reason is to show a list of HTML entities.

So, I want a column fpr the real character(e.g. Â), a column for the
HTML entity with ascii name(e.g. ©) and a column for the HTML
entity with Unicode(e.g. ©). That is no problem.

But I want that each cell is selectable to mark the entity to insert. I
didn't found a way to do that, I just can select whole rows.

Is there any way to select single cells?
Or should I use another widget? I thought of a GtkTable and fill it
with GtkButtons but I assume this would heavily slow down the process of
realising the dialog.

Regards,
Enrico

P.S.: if my explanation was not very clear, I want something like the
special character dialog in OpenOffice Writer.