Using the combobox

I'm using Glade to design a front-end for my application. My question is how to I get the answer from the combobox? The gtk documentation for the functions that I'm trying to use tell me that I can only use these functions if the combobox was created using gtk_combo_box_new_text(). Well, if I'm using Glade to create these combobox's and not gtk_combo_box_new_text() how do I get the chosen text from the widget?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve